Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Muse at the Eden Project



Saw them last night - tiny Matt Bellamy jumping about in his tight black jeans was truly a sight to behold, covering the stage like a good 'un. He's only got little legs though, so where he sourced his pantaloons I cannot say, although I suspect Dorothy Perkins, and there's no shame in that.

Super-Massive Black Hole sounds amazing live, like the rejected Britney hit it surely started out to be.

The Eden Project looks magical at night - I haven't been since they'd only just finished it, so walking down into the valley of huge glowing domes really does add to the experience. And because I'm apparently middle-aged now, I particularly appreciated that the walk down to the arena was lined with herb gardens and hints on how to put together a ferny, nonflowery garden that looks a bit prehistoric and monstery (not their exact words) which is exactly what I want to do. When I have my own garden. I already have a small colony of tree ferns at my parents', just sitting there, quietly waiting.*

I also want a ten foot freestanding concrete bookshelf on which I can arrange potted plants alphabetically. Still don't know why, really.



eden_project_red
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.





* "like Jack Nicholson', one for Eddie Izzard fans there. This post has wibbled all over the place, I do apologize.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you've wibbled all over the place in the post, may I do so in the comments? I was at my local cinema in the US of A yesterday and saw a trailer for 'Confetti' staring a whole host of fine British comedic talent. Can anyone tell me if it's as good as it looked? How baited should the breath be with which I await it?

Hamilton's Brain said...

Not seen it yet, but there was much pontification from the actors prior to its release, and then a seeming total disownership once it flopped its way out of the cinema. Total reverse ferret. I shall be investing in a copy on Digital Versatile Disc, mind.

And as for gardening, James, you can keep your big concrete bookcase. As long as I get my 400% sized half sunken statue heads on which I hope to propogate moss and lichen.

James Henry said...

Not seen Confetti yet, but I'm sure it's worth a punt. Why not go and see it, then give us a report? Of course if we don't hear back, we'll all assume it was shit.

Anonymous said...

Confetti is good, saw it a while back and really enjoyed it, it's definitely worth seeing.

Rose said...

Confetti is pretty good, even if it does have the depressing air of predictability hanging over it.

Muse are marvellous and completely mental. James, do you know if they played 'Knights of Cydonia'? I've been wondering what that would look like live.

Oh, and no garden is complete without a gnome in a dirty mac flashing his fig leaf.

Anonymous said...

more wibbling...

my friend, who's just had her first job as a runner on a film, got v. excited to discover she's now on imdb - yey almost successful!! James, you prob already knew that you're on there but why haven't you updated your details? Your agent isn't even on there. Go on get someone to write you a lovely biog, some quirky trivia and some funny quotes would be good too. It could become the best page on the website!!

James Henry said...

I think they played KoC but it's all a bit of a blur to be honest (so much for traditional critics being sidelined by bloggers).

Interesting point about imdb - I shall go and poke it with a stick and see what happens...

Terri Nixon said...

Ooh, the Eden Project; I've never been- much to my brother's disgust as he helped to build the bloody thing! I've got facts and figures about it falling out of my pockets, but never seen it. Both my kids have been and tell me how wonderful it is ... must shake my lazy arse down there sometime, preferably at night if that picture is anything to go by.

Taiga the Fox said...

Phew. I thought I was the only one wanting to arrange plants alphabetically.

Actually I tried it once, but couldn't decide should they be arranged by a common name or a botanical name and what to do with the same species without an exact variety name. Besides it looked kind of weird, although I don't have any giant concrete bookshelves.

Anonymous said...

The idea of a colony of plants just waiting worries me. It makes me think of triffids awaiting the most oppurtune moment to TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Brrr. Be careful James, that's all I'm saying.

realdoc said...

I wonder if Muse know they share their name with a topical treatment for erectile dysfunction.

Rose said...

I mention KoC because it has such a fantastical video and it would greatly disappoint me if it were not re-enacted onstage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV1bRfLHA3A

It's no OK Go, but it is brilliant.

frangelita said...

If I had a concrete bookcase, I would feel dutybound to fill it with concrete books.

James Henry said...

Well I'd want a couple of concrete books, obviously, otherwise it would look stupid.

The knights of cydonia is fabbo, yes. Sadly there was no real acting out on stage. Probably a bit in the audience though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the video, tis great :)

Anonymous said...

The other half is desperate to see Muse and is contemplating driving the 2 hours to Birmingham in order to do so, as London is completely sold out! Oh and 2 hours back to relieve the babysitter. Is it worth it? Good grief he wants a tree fern as well - are you two related.